NEWS RELEASE Consulate General of Japan
Contact: Deputy Consul General Mrs. Midori Takeuchi
March 14, 2011
Phone: office: (313) 567-0120, cell: (313) 477-5279
Statement in Response to the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan
On behalf of the Japanese people and the Government of Japan, Consul General of Japan in Detroit, Mr. Kuninori Matsuda would like to express its heartfelt gratitude to those who have expressed sympathy for those suffering from the devastating earthquake and tsunami. Our Consulate is truly grateful for all of the support and outreach at this time.
The Consulate is also grateful for the numerous inquiries in regards to relief effort donations. Donations can be made to one of the following organizations:
· The American Red Cross (http://american.redcross.org)
· The Japan American Society of West Michigan (www.jaswm.org)
· The Japan Business Society of Detroit (http://www.jbsd.org/ja/events/news.aspx?contentid=29)
· The Japanese-American Citizens League of Dayton, Ohio. Donations can be sent to: Japan Earthquake Relief Fund c/o Chase Bank, 40 N. Main Street, Dayton, OH 45243
· Michigan-Shiga Sister State Board. Make checks payable to “Michigan –Shiga Sister State Board” and note that this is a donation for the Japan Disaster Relief Fund. Please send checks to: Michigan-Shiga Sister State Board, P.O. Box 4715, East Lansing MI 48823-9998
As to the many offers we have received from volunteers willing to travel to Japan, we respectfully request that such volunteers remain in the United States, as Japan is not yet in the position to properly receive and deploy them.
For information on the whereabouts and welfare of American nationals in Japan, please contact the U.S. State Department by phone at 1-888-407-4747 or at 1-202-501-4444, or by email at JapanEmergencyUSC@state.gov. In consideration of phone service interruptions, the Consulate-General of Japan is also releasing a list of phone-based message systems in Japan to check the well-being of friends and family.
Mobile Phone Systems
· Docomo (NTT)
· EZweb (KDDI)
· EMnet (E-Mobile)